Tuesday 15 October 2013

Product Regrets || Seventeen Stay Time Long Wear Primer


It's not often that I write about products that I don't like. I would rather just chuck it in the corner of my make up collection and forget about it. But every so often a products come around and it's so awful and has nothing but bad qualities that I can't help but write about it.

Recently, I've been really interested in primers. After doing a bit of research I decided that I was going to buy the Smashbox Photo Finish More Than Primer Blemish Control which contains salicylic acid to help prevent bacteria from causing breakouts. But after visiting Boots and putting it into my basket, trying to justify paying £28 for a primer when I've never used a primer before, I put it back... with great difficulty of course. So I decided to have a look around to find some cheaper alternatives for my first ever primer. I came across the Seventeen Stay Time Long Wear Primer and decided to give it a try.

The bottle is really small and contains 20g of product, so I was a bit surprised when it rung up as £5.49 (somehow I thought it was cheaper when I picked it up). That's a lot of coins spent on something so small. As a primer virgin, I would have loved for the packaging to have contained some kind of directions of use. You might think it's pretty obvious but I like to know for sure. The first time I used it, I found it quite thick. It's also quite pale on the skin, which is fine for me as I'm fair skinned but I can imagine it wouldn't be great for more olive skin tones. But the thing I hate (yes, hate) the most about this product is that it is so difficult to blend and spread. It dries so fast into the skin that your left with unblended lines and an uneven look. But if you try to rectify it by attempting to blend it out, the primer actually peels off of you skin like dried up Prittstick glue. And don't even think about applying foundation over this because it is so noticeable! The foundation sticks to the patches of peeling primer leaving your skin looking like you have really bad dry patches all over you face. As for it being long wear, I didn't see any signs of my make up budging throughout the day, but would you sacrifice flawless looking skin for longevity?? I know I wouldn't. Who would want dry patchy skin to be long lasting??

I've used this primer twice and can safely say I will definitely not be using it again. I just amazed that it's managed to make it to Seventeen's shelves. This is hands down one of the worst products I have ever used but I hasn't turned me against using other primers in the future. I still have my heart set on the Smashbox Blemish Control Primer, but will have to save my pennies for that one.

Have you ever used this primer? What did you think about it? What are some of your product regrets?


3 comments:

  1. Oh no!! I love Seventeen products so its sad to see such a bad review of one. I haven't tried this yet as my skin doesn't really take to primers apart from Porefessional and certain concealers that I use as a base. What foundation do you use to go over it? Did you try a different one to see if it stuck better?

    xx
    www.notyouraverage.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used my new bourjois one which I am loving. It was definitely the primer, it peeled right off of my skin. Not very nice at all! x

      Delete
  2. I bought this, it feels like I'm rubbing glue all over my face! x

    ReplyDelete